NEW! Resource Toolkit
You have a critical role to play in the Kansas redistricting process, so we want to make it as easy as possible for you to speak up for fair maps in Kansas. Click here to get started!
ICYMI: We're recording each each stop on the Legislative Listening Tour. If you missed your Town Hall, or just want to watch it again, please visit our YouTube Channel.
Access the Town Hall agendas, minutes, and submitted testimony on the KLRD website.
The Kansas Redistricting Process
Redistricting in Kansas is done through a legislative process that provides opportunity for public engagement. Learn more about the legislators responsible for producing Kansas state and Congressional maps and how you can participate.
- The Kansas Redistricting Advisory Group is responsible for setting the Kansas redistricting process. You can see members and read committee documents and testimony here.
- The Kansas Legislature is responsible for creating Kansas Congressional and state legislative maps. You can see members of the House Committee on Redistricting here and members of the Senate Committee on Redistricting here.
- Communities of Interest are areas that share a common legislative concern or need. Watch the League of Women Voters of Kansas video about Communities of Interest here.
- The Kansas Hispanic and Latino American Affairs Commission (KHLAAC) and Kansas African American Affairs Commission (KAAAC) submitted letters to the Redistricting Advisory Group requesting opportunities for accessible public engagement and transparency. Read the July 2021 letter.
League of Women Voters Topeka-Shawnee County Redistricting 101 presentation from April, 2021
Gerrymandering is the act of manipulating the boundaries of an electoral constituency to favor one party or class. Learn more about how this is done, and why we are advocating for nonpartisan process to produce Kansas maps that are fair and equal.
- League of Women Voters of Johnson County Gerrymandering and Fair Representation presentation from February, 2021
- Brennan Center for Justice Gerrymandering and Fair Representation resources
You have a role to play in the Kansas redistricting process. KS Fair Maps encourages you to participate in official Redistricting Town Hall meetings, submit testimony, and contact your legislator to ask for a transparent, accessible redistricting process.